How to make authentic Chongqing Mala Xiao Mian(Spicy Noodles)?
Chongqing Spicy Noodles (Mala Xiao Mian “重庆麻辣小面”) is an authentic Chinese noodle dish that originated in Sichuan Province in Southwest China. It’s a spicy, fragrant, and flavorful dish of noodles, vegetables, and meats in a chili oil and Sichuan pepper-infused broth. The dish is also known for its signature numbing sensation, courtesy of Sichuan peppercorn added during the cooking process. The dish is simple and a great way to enjoy some of the flavors and spices of Sichuan cuisine.
This blog post offers an in-depth guide on how to make authentic Spicy Sichuan Mala Xiao Mian. We’ll cover the ingredients, necessary equipment and utensils, step-by-step instructions, and additional tips and tricks for the best results.
To make Spicy Sichuan Mala Xiao Mian, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Vegetables: Any vegetables of your choice, such as bok choy, mushrooms, red bell pepper, green beans, carrots, or onion.
Meat: Ground pork or ground beef, but you can also use shrimp, chicken, or tofu.
Broth: A combination of chicken stock, pork stock, and mushroom stock works best. You can also add a little soy sauce and Shaoxing wine.
Chili oil: Sichuan chili oil is essential for this dish and adds both flavor and heat.
Spices: A combination of Sichuan peppercorn,fried broken peanuts, chili flakes, garlic, and ginger is essential for the mala flavor.
Additional ingredients: Green onion, white pepper, and soy sauce.
Equipment and Utensils
To make Spicy Sichuan Mala Xiao Mian, you’ll need the following equipment and utensils:
– Measuring cups and spoons
– Cutting board
– Heat source (stovetop, induction cooking, etc.)
1. Begin by preparing the noodles according to package instructions. Drain, set aside, and keep warm.
2. Heat a wok over high heat and add the chili oil.
3. Add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink.
4. Add the vegetables and cook until they are tender.
5. Add the garlic and ginger, followed by the Sichuan peppercorns. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
6. Add the chili flakes, white pepper, and soy sauce. Stir-fry for a few more seconds.
7. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
8. Add the noodles and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for a few minutes.
9. Garnish with green onion and serve hot.
Additional Tips and Tricks
For the best results, here are some additional tips for making Spicy Sichuan Mala Xiao Mian:
– Use a high-heat resistant wok for the best results.
– For a more intense mala flavor, use chili crumbs in place of chili flakes.
– If you want a spicier dish, add some chili peppers to the mix.
– For added flavor, you can add dried Sichuan chilies to the chili oil.
– To make this dish vegetarian, substitute the meat for more vegetables or tofu.
Spicy Sichuan Mala Xiao Mian is an authentic Chinese noodle dish that’s sure to tantalize your taste buds with its fragrant, flavorful, and spicy flavors. With the right ingredients, equipment, and instructions, you can make your own version of this popular Sichuan dish that’s sure to impress. Plus, with the tips and tricks offered here, you can customize the dish to your exact taste bud preferences!